Monday, May 4, 2009

Free movies yea!!!!


One of the good and bad things about my job is that I get solicited by salesmen left and right. I normally do not care for the sales phone calls I get frequently. But some companies have taken a new approach to getting the word out on their products. They invite IT guys like me to a movie theater, give a sales presentation about a product and then provide free movie tickets with drinks and snacks. They wait until the summer movie season when good movies are available to view and then start their selling campaign.

I have received may invites to these sales presentations and they work on me. At least at getting me to come to their sales presentation. Last year I saw Iron Man, The Dark Knight & Wall-E for free. This week I already have been invited to see the new X-Men movie and Star Trek. I am looking forward to the Star Trek movie as Jen was able to get a baby sitter and we will enjoy the movie together.

I feel somewhat guilty as I have not purchased anything from these companies who do these promotions and our current economy does not make it look likely for me to do so anytime soon. But I certainly do learn a lot about the new products and new technological options that are available. That should result in future purchases. Until then, I will enjoy some good movies for free.

3 comments:

barlow.stephanie said...

Awesome. I get the same thing. Vendors calling me and trying to take me to lunch to get me to buy their office supplies or outsource to them for copying. It is interesting to see how creative they get and still try to be sincere as they try to win you over. I once had a salesman wink at me the whole time and compliment me on my soothing voice. Creepy. Not doing business with him. I prefer it with people are themselves and let their company or product speak for itself. Though I don't mind it when they give me free stuff. :)

Lars Barlow said...

Guilt! No Guilt. They already spent the money! Look at it like this, either they spend the money on a bunch of free movie tickets or they spend it on an ad space somewhere that gets them even less notice. They only spend what they budget for advertising. Better than them spending it on a commercial.

Kathleen White said...

Lucky man! Enjoy your perks.