Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Tax time again

It's that time of year again. Where we get a much needed distraction from the cold, snowy & grey days of winter by sitting in front of a computer for a few hours trying to see how much money we owe Uncle Sam. I had all but 1 tax form this past weekend and since I was with my parents for a family gathering. I borrowed my day's copy of Turbo Tax and got most of my taxes done.

Looks like we will owe a little bit more to the state and will get some redistributed wealth from the federal government. I cannot see it as anything different. When I pay only $28 in federal taxes for the entire year, but only owe $14 for my entire family, and I still get a refund that is a four figure amount. That certainly means that someone else is paying a large amount of taxes so that the government can then take it and give it to me. Since when was it ethical for the government to take from someone, not use it for government projects, but to give to a poor guy like me. Some see this as the government being Robin Hood. But Robin Hood was a thief, even if he was giving the money to others. Looks like our government also enjoys spending other people's money.

These types of tax returns will not last much longer. The Bush tax cuts will expire in 2010 and with it the generous child tax credits and other tax breaks. By that time, Obama will have to raise taxes to pay for all his bail out, so called stimulus and rescue packages he is passing. They have already passed 2 $800+ Billion dollar spending packages and now Obama is pushing for another $80+ Billion dollar housing rescue. I'm sure he is not done spending our money. So I should not worry about not paying enough taxes. There will be plenty to pay soon enough.

1 comment:

Schroeder's in a NUT SHELL! said...

Yeah...I agree with you. This year we have learned a little about what it will be like in 2010 without the child tax credits....we have no qualifying kids this year for this credit and I realize it was a great relief to our taxes in the past. I'm worried what Obama will do to us in the future...his 'bailouts' so he calls it scares me....time will tell I'm sure