Wednesday, April 8, 2009

City council meeting


So I now live in a new city and want to be involved in my community. So when Jen asked me what I wanted to do for my night off she was inviting me to have. I did what any other politically conscious and historically studying person would do. I went to the Riverton city council.

This was a chance for me to learn about my new city and see what issues are prevalent in my new neighborhood. The main issue discussed was a new recovery home that was set up in a neighborhood where recovering drug addicts go to receive treatment. The main issue was that this home was set up in a neighborhood without public notice and without proper licence obtained from the city. So many citizens who live on that street were furious to suddenly see cops delivering drug addicts to their neighborhood and city leaders were working hard to correct the problem.

I was glad to see how organized the meeting went and how prepared the city officials were to address the items on the agenda. I was able to chat with the mayor after the meeting and unfortunately learned that the CERT team that I am leading will see some changes because my team is in both Herriman and Riverton city. But other than that, I enjoyed the events and feel educated on my city processes.

If you have not done so, I recommend attending at least one city council meeting. You will be enlighten and educated. You may also be bored but if you needed to petition your city for something, you will be glad that you at least saw what happens before you start.

No comments: