Saturday, July 19, 2008

Dr Who-Best TV Show Ever

Friday nights are special for me. My favorite TV show is on each Friday on the Sci Fi channel thanks to our friends from across the pond in Great Britain. Doctor Who continues the adventures of a 900 year old time lord from the planet Galifrey. With the help of his Tardis, he can move through time and space, combating evil in all its forms and providing protection and justice to the innocent. If the Doctor gets fatally hurt, or the actor playing him wishes to leave the role, the Doctor can regenerate into a different looking person and his adventures then continue. The series had been going, off and on, since the sixties. Currently the Doctor is in his 10th generation and with the BBCs use of modern visual graphics and superior writers. The show has been phenomially entertaining and in my opinion the best thing on TV.

One of the reasons why I enjoy the show is the history I have with it. I got introduced to it by my brother, Carl. Back in the 80s, Doctor Who was shown in Utah exclusively on KUED's channel 7. Since it was PBS, they were always having "begathons" to raise money for the shows they purchased, like Doctor Who. Carl was able to go up to the UofU and answer phone calls during a begathon that showed a marathon of Doctor Who episodes. Carl called home to ask someone to record the marathon, so he could watch them later. I happened to be the only one home and agreed to record it. But instead of just hitting the record button and then doing something else, I stayed and watch the entire marathon. Since then I was hooked. Watching the Doctor battle Cybermen, Sontarians, the Master and of course Dialeks provided hours of entertainment.

So if anyone out there is feeling that TV has gone down hill since reality shows started (and you are right.) I recommend that you tune into channel 7 at 11pm on Saturday nights or for the most current episodes, the Sci Fi channel at 7pm Friday nights. The perfect balance of a greatly written story, splendid acting and great visual effects. It compares to great entertainment like Batman Begins and the first Matrix movie.

4 comments:

TardisCaptain said...

And thus your path down the dark side began.

I'm glad I could introduce you to some quality TV. Now if we could encourage people to stop watching "reality" tv.

Anonymous said...

It is refreshing to see that you are right about something!

Meet the Queen said...

Just letting you know I'm lurking, but by telling you I'm lurking am I really lurking at this point?

Phil said...

Glad to have the lurker back in the blog nieghborhood. Looking forward to seeing you on Tuesday.