Monday, July 14, 2008

What's next? Kissing the cattle?

Last weekend, Jen & I worked in our basement. Going through large amounts of boxes to identify items we will try to sell at our yard sell this Saturday . We had the radio going while we labored and a song was played by Katy Perry. It was called "I kissed a girl." I normally don't listen to the lyrics of music, but this one just could not be ignored.
I found myself shocked and baffled. The girl singing described how she kissed another girl, just to experiment, and found that she liked it. She describes the pleasures of it and how there is nothing wrong with it and its it completely innocent.

Whether she was trying to create the theme songs for lesbians or just trying to sell CDs, I don't know. But I was very disappointed in the portrayal that there is is nothing wrong with this and that experimenting is perfectly fine. If I took that logic, then could people begin experimenting with anything? Are children, animals and inanimate objects in danger of experimentation? Where is the line drawn? Has it already been crossed? I think it has.

I looked up the lyrics to this song to make sure I did not hear incorrectly and on the website that hosted the lyrics, they allowed people to post their comments. Numerous comments were on how it is OK for same gender couples to experiment. One even said that she knew it was a sin, but it was OK because she could be forgiven for it and so felt no reason to stop.

I think it is clear that when you compromise on what you accept as right and find fewer things as wrong, you distance yourself from the religious or societal principles that keep our community safe and secure. If I now find the restrictions against same gender interaction incorrect then will I next find the restrictions on theft, dishonesty and even murder to be too restrictive and just an outdated tradition that no longer applies to my day and age?

I guess my point is that songs that glamorize actions that distance us from our values make me sorry for the direction our society is heading.

No comments: